Monday, March 10, 2008

For Rachel, after her birthday


None, originally uploaded by true story.

There was a little girl who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
And when she was good,
She was very very good.
And when she was bad,
She was horrid.

That about sums it up folks, and you'll see that her little Lily has inherited the little curl as well. Perhaps this doesn't seem like a particularly generous greeting for my big sister's birthday, but it is the nostalgia that counts. And Rach cant deny it's truth. Am I right Mom?

She was very very good except for when she would throw a fit and have to have time out in the garage because she would scream so loud. At that point she started chanting "My parents hate me, they lock me in the garage".....and so on.

She was the same child that had to be given a special biting pillow so as to stop biting her sisters and other folk.

She is also one of the most clever people I know. The child who (before I was born) listened to her older sister talk about her different collections and where she kept them. Jess would say, "I have a rock collection, and I keep it in this box". Rach retorted at only 3 or 4 years of age with her dry delivery that she had even then "Well, I have a rhyme collection and I keep it in my head".

She writes beautifully and I have more than one scribbled poem or sentiment that she has written for me that I cherish. Or happen to come across in an old journal that she decided to compose something in an empty page for me to find.

She instilled in me a love for the quirky in life. It taught me to be myself. The quirky in music, art, clothing, film, literature, etc. She may protest that I am the quirkier in some aspects (ie: fashion) but her keen ability to always be herself taught me to embrace those things that I liked and to make them my own.

I now marvel at her amazing abilities as a mother. (I wonder when her kids will realize that getting excited over crumbs of a cookie is not ordinary........or one mini marshmallow is not what most kids would consider a great treat or reward. They are not spoiled to say the least.). She is a super mom, and balances that with her teaching AP/SAT prep courses. I can't think of anyone better suited for either job.

As Rachel has relocated to the south, I lament that I do not get to see her at all often enough. Especially as she has been in Vegas with my family this past week, and I was unable to get down there. But there is something special about our sisterhood. She always makes me feel understood and important. And laugh, she makes me do that too.

Happy Birthday Rach. Our girl with the curl.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Thanks, sister Sarita.