Monday, August 20, 2007

I like everything

So, yes, as a before mentioned, I am easy. But upon further reflection, I want to clarify: this doesn't necessarily mean I am complacent. Or have no opinions. Because I do.

A recent post by a fellow blogger lead me to reflect a bit on this. I am a diplomatic soul, not prone to argue, and unless I feel really strongly about something, won't make a big deal about it. When I'm really comfortable with a person, I will let loose with my thoughts and opinions. Because they are many and sometimes a little crazy (and therefore interesting?). I have often worried, however, that this makes me seem a boring individual.

Earlier this summer, I discussed with a friend the frustrations in dating. Specifically his dating. He asks girls out on a regular basis, and says that the conversations more often than not go like this:
Guy: So, what do you like to do (after discussion on work and school is dispensed and the conversation is already waning)?
Girl: Oh, I like everything.
Guy: do you read?
Girl: Oh yeah. I love to read.
Guy: Really?! What do you like? Who are your favorite authors?
Girl: Oh you know, like, everything.
Guy: Do you like ________? (favorite and well known author)
Girl: Oh yeah, ________ is great.
Guy: Who else?
Girl: Oh other people like _______ and some that aren't.
Guy: What kind of music do you like?
Girl: You know, a little bit of everything........

You get the picture. I do not want to be that person. Sometimes I think I am. Because I am easy to please. I do not, however, like everything. I'm just not picky.

Point in case. I love movies, and will see most anything for that very reason. Some aren't so great, but serve thier purpose in entertaining me. Others I adore. And can go on and on about.
I love books, and love to read them. I love Steinbeck, but kinda hate Grapes of Wrath (see, I'm opinionated). But that was in high school that I read that one, perhaps if I read it again, I would like it more. Most likely, I would just be depressed. I don't really like to discuss politics. Especially with irrational people. I am kinda middle grounded. Not necessarily a fence sitter, I just think people and politics have become too polarized, and some common sense can be found in the middle ground. I also am not going to take a stand on an issue I am not well educated on. I need to be more well educated on many issues. I also need to live my life.

So I guess I don't like everything (although, I am disgustingly optimistic and can find beauty and merit in most things.......so I may appear to sometimes).

10 comments:

LuLuBelle said...

One thing I know I like for sure is reading your blog. Sometimes it's the highlight of my day! Don't bother to read The Grapes of Wrath again...it's still depressing.

Unknown said...

And she doesn't like Diet Pepsi--so don't even try.

oof said...

I doubt most people would accuse a magnanimous person like yourself with being boring. The girl that prompted my blog appears, by all accounts, to lack opinions entirely -- it's quite odd, actually.

$teve said...

Agreed. I dislike it when people say that they like everything...but can't give examples. We don't have to like the exact same things to communicate...but it sure doesn't hurt. :)

You seem like a pretty cool cat & I'd like to invite you to check out my blog. Maybe you'll get a laugh or two out of it. That's all I can really promise...but judging by your wonderful work, I'd say that you'd enjoy mine too.

Anyway, have a good night.

Marie said...

Many opinions are rooted more in pretension than in education (and I'm saying this to myself as much as to anyone). I think what you describe about yourself involves a certain lack of pretension. Is it possible to be pretentiously openminded? Pretentiously reasonable? I don't know. Maybe I should give it a try, though. If anyone can do it, it's me. :)

Sarita said...

Marie is smart.

TUG said...

Does this mean that you don't have a crush on me anymore?

Sarita said...

Stop reading into things Thom. I'm pretentiously open minded...remember?

Marie said...

Nonono! That's not what I was saying! I was being self-deprecating, not Sarita-deprecating! I was saying that I don't think openmindedness is compatible with pretension, but that if it IS possible to push pretension into that bold new frontier, I could probably figure out how to do it, pretentious as I am.

Man, I can't even manage to give a compliment without mucking it up. :)

Britten said...

I am so confused.

And wow, Sarah! You are attracting lost of readers. You're one popular gal!