Thursday, July 26, 2007

Worthless

This morning I ventured out to the salvage yard where my car now resides to pick up the whopping $200 for my vehicle. I was tired from editing pictures late into the evening (not enough hours in the day) and feeling a little despondent and drab. It was a little spooky walking through the virtual vehicle graveyard in my skirt and heels. Think The Brave Little Toaster. I walked down a pathway into the buildings basement, a dank and dingy office where three men sat at a long high counter smudged with grease and grime, a little dank and dingy themselves. Their hands were and fingernails were black, and the younger ones sported multiple painful looking piercings. They just stared as I timidly offered up my info and what I was there for.

That's when my perception changed. The young man that helped me was kindly and well spoken. And struck up a conversation with me as I awaited the check. He expressed his concern for my recent car escapades and gave me a sympathetic smile. His coworker (who was a little more aged and hispanic) came back with the check and kept calling me linda (the spanish word for cute or pretty not to be confused with the name)I wow'd him with my spanish skills before I finally walked out the door, the 3 men still trying to engage me in conversation. And his eyes just smiled back at me.

I'm not worthless, and niether are they.

7 comments:

TUG said...

I just found your blog through Farah's. I think that you are a great writer and I look forward to reading more.

Sarita said...

Why thank you. Any reader of Farrah's is oh so welcome.

Rachel said...

and neither am I. Am I? Just kidding. I know that feeling of seeing people and judging them/placing them in a stereotypical role, then actually seeing them as people. It is a good feeling. Especially the second part. Thanks for your uplifting blog, Sarita.

Mikie said...

I can only imagine how bored they get down there. You didn't even know you were doing a good deed just by going to pick up a check ;)

Britten said...

Warning: Don't watch this video before cleaning out your garage. May cause serious second thoughts.

LuLuBelle said...

Sarah, reading your blog always makes me smile. Thanks for sharing this story...it's uplifting on a day I needed it.

Angie said...

I love the toaster cartoon. I forgot it existed. It makes me all misty eyed.