Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Bless me

So I'm temping these days. Since things are a little up in the air until after the wedding time. And it's like this: I come in and sometimes only see one other person. Ever. The receptionist who refuses to make eye contact with me. I hear lots of people, but my cube is situated as such that nobody walks by. EVER. And my supervisor just trusts that I will come to her with a question, or heaven forbid, if I actually finish the work they gave me.

Now to some of you, this may sound depressing. It's not too bad actually. No painful small talk induced by an awkward need to be sociable at work. It's not that I'm entirely anti-social, it's just, I will only be here for a couple months.......and it's sometimes nice to be left alone to my work is all. I was excited to discover on my first day that business casual is interpreted here as jeans. And sometimes even sweats. So I dress comfy, do my thing, and go home.

But here comes the real sad part.......I've been sneezing lots lately. And we all can hear the neighboring cubes, most people listen to music (pandora is my constant companion) but through my music I can hear the chair squeaks, and personal conversations, and drumming on their desk to their buttrock blaring through their headphones. And not once, ever, has one of these people said bless you when I sneeze.

Somehow that depresses me.

There is a big window right behind me though. You win some, you lose some.

I also work directly across from such retailers as Ross dress for less, TJ Maxx, Big lots, and two (count em TWO) dollar stores. And a Dress Barn. So I really am sitting pretty.

And least you think I was being facetious about all that, I really do adore those stores. Okay, except for the Dress Barn. While I am sure they have some decent wares, I refuse to buy my wardrobe at a place referred to as a barn. I can't even begin to tell you the negative images it evokes. It's a mental thing.

4 comments:

Jaime Van Hoose Steele said...

Bless you! (that's for the next time you sneeze and your co-workers say nothing)

Also, I completely heart Ross!! I buy the cutest dresses there for like $10-$15 bones! Ever since Ross came into my life I am no longer able to buy clothes at regular price. I'm not sure if that's good or bad??

LuLuBelle said...

Salud!
Keep this on hand to use when needed. (There's more where that one came from)

stace said...

sounds like a good time to me...I will trade you two sick, whiney kids for a day full of non "bless yous"...deal?

Rachel said...

who picked the name Dress Barn? And why have they kept it? I feel the same way. Bless you.